Monday, July 18, 2016

Almost Burning a Shirt


 The corridor in leading to our house
 Opa
 CORAÇÂO!
 The heart burger (x2)


  
 Eating the heart burger hardcore
 District meeting!
 Inside the chapel
 The church on Rua 9-A, home of Ala Goiânia
 In the taxi :)
 In the elevator :) :)
 I ate this whole Habib's pizza for lunch. It was the equivalent of $4.60.
 The office building of our office. We'e on the 11th floor.
 The entrance of the office building
 I haven't lost my art skills yet (Mark 16:15)
 ONE YEAR IN BRASIL! (x3)



With Elder Zeballos, o increível! He goes home this week :(((( e Elder Banz atrás kk

Almost Burning  a Shirt

I can’t believe I forgot to write about this last week, but last week I knocked the best door on my mission! It was 8:40 at night and I was on that exchange with Elder Souza. As always, we were trying to find “os eleitos”. After a few unsuccessful doors, we knocked (or actually, we clapped. In Brasil lots of houses have gates in front and you just clap your hands loudly for people to let you in) and a woman came out and asked us if we were the Mormons. Sin, nos somos! She then said “Oh, the people here are Mormon. Do you want to come in?” Alright. We passed through the house to the area behind it and found a huge extended family having a barbecue to celebrate the 70th birthday of one of the family members. Some of them were members of the church from the USA! We were given a bunch of awesome food (including picanha – the best cut of meat here) and as we talked to the people there, found out that it was the extended family of our ward mission leader. He wasn’t there, but his dad, who’s less active, was and we talked to him and invited him back to church and he came! After eating a ton and meeting everyone we went home, really grateful and excited that we had knocked what we thought was a normal door and in turn, won a churrasco! Hahaha!

This week I reached one year on the mission!!!!! It has been the nest year of my life.  For years I’ve been excited for the day when I would reach one year on my mission and follow the missionary tradition of burning a shirt. I was way excited to do it on Friday and had everything ready – the white shirt, the camera, the super flammable water-proof aerosol product for shoes – when it was discovered that we had run out of matches. NO! I looked around the house like crazy but only found am empty match box then went to the neighbor’s house but she wasn’t available and then it was almost 10:30 and I had to abandon the search L. I was sad. It’s only once in your life you hit one year on your mission. And…we were out of matches. Anyway, I’m happy again and at least had the certainty that I wouldn’t burn anybody’s house down.

That’s something different. Houses in the US are made of wood and burn easily. Houses here are made of a type of blocky clay brick and mortar and even if I had burned a shirt and the aerosol can had exploded (IF), probably none of the house would have burned because they can’t.

Oh! I started an awesome goal: memorize one scripture everyday. Last P-Day was the first day and so far I’ve memorized 12 (I’m a little behind). They are the following: Ether 12:27, Mosiah 2:17, D&C 82:10, Alma 5:26, John 3:16, 2 Nephi 2:27, 2 Nephi 2:25, 2 Nephi 9:28-29, 2 Nephi 25:23,26, and 2 Nephi 28:7, 8, and 9. It’s been really cool! I’m more constantly thinking about good things, getting to know the scriptures better, and strengthening my ability to memorize. I don’t know how long I’ll keep it up, but I think at least the rest of my mission will be a good goal.

On the news on the elevator TV this week I saw that there was a riot in front of Governor Deal’s house. I thought it was cool because I went there once and Georgia made international news. Hopefully next time I get a Georgia news update here it’ll be a little more positive hahaha.

Beans here have risen a ton in price and everybody here is going crazy over it because Brazilians eat rice and beans every single day of life! Hahaha, Brasil!

It was a good week this week. I took a ton of pictures for you guys to enjoy! I enjoyed learning some cool things in the scriptures this week (especially how D&C 20:35 and 2 Nephi 14 explain the verses in Revelations 22 that people often use to try to discredit the Book of Mormon) and of course, reaching the famous one year mark! Life is great, Brasil is great, the gospel is true!

Elder Anderson

P. S. I ATE A HEART BURGER. It was alright. Kind of like liver. A little tougher but not as bad tasting as liver is. Oh yeah, people eat liver here sometimes too.







No comments:

Post a Comment